Updated: Feb 13
Black History is 365 Days a year.
As an African Woman it warms my heart to see writers, authors, producers, actors, singers, doctors, activists, wives, mothers, aunties, sisters, daughters- that look like me AND lead by example. These women are indeed-phenomenal in their own right. May they receive their flowers while they are living or ancestors, young or older.
1. "You may not control all of the events that happen to you but you can decide not to be reduced by them."
~ Maya Angelou
2. "The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any."
3. "I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change, I am changing the things I cannot accept." ~Angela Davis
4. "I found that everytime I asked the answer tended to be no. So I had to make my own yeses."
5. "To me we are the most beautiful creatures in the whole world- black people. And I mean that in every sense, outside and inside"
6. "Sometimes what you're looking for is already here."
7. "You have to learn how to care about people without taking on their problems"
8. "I won't rest until black children are taught to love themselves as themselves."
~Dr Frances Cress Welsing
9. "My recipe for life is not being afraid of myself, afraid of what I think or of my opinions."
10. "Don't settle for average. Bring your best to the moment. Then, whether it fails or succeeds, at least you know you gave all you had. We need to live the best that's in us."
11. "Once you know who you are, you don't have to worry anymore."
12. "Happiness comes from living as you need to, as you want to. As your inner voice tells you to. Happiness comes from being who you are instead of who you think you are supposed to be."
~ Shanda Rhimes
13. "I think every black woman is a queen. It's just, do you know it... based on who we are and what we've been through and how we survive and where we stand we are on kind of sacred ground. We stand on the backs of our ancestors."
14. "When I dare to become powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less whether I am Afraid."
15. "A revolutionary woman can't have no reactionary man. If he's not about the struggle, if he ain't about building a strong Black family, if he ain't about building a strong Black nation, then he ain't about nothing," ~Assata Shakur
16. "I had to confront my fears and master my every demonic thought about inferiority, insecurity or the fear of being black, young and gifted in a this western culture"
17. "The kind of beauty I want is the most hard to get to kind that comes from within- strength, courage, dignity"
~ Ruby Dee
18. "Your life is already artful. Just waiting-waiting for you to make it art."
19. "You're born being worthy and that is a message most women need to hear."
20. "A dream is a portal to your purpose." ~Lupita Nyong'o